Wednesday, April 28

Getting Started

One of the first things you will need to know as a beginning couponer is where to shop. I typically shop in three stores on any given week: Publix, Target, & CVS.

Before I started couponing I hadn't set foot in a CVS for years-- it was a money-suck for me, I'd go in there and suddenly lose half an hour and $40. I could spend $10 on hair dye, because the box was pretty, never even checking the clearance section or the store flyer. So I quit going in an effort to reduce my habit of shopping just to shop.
Well, couponing feeds that same need for me to browse and spend time shopping, it's just that I do the majority of it at home, in flyers and online. I have discovered that between these three stores I can get most of my needs met for the least amount of money-- be patient, I will get to the "how" of it eventually.

I chose Publix as my primary grocery store for one main reason- the coupon policy is very flexible. In fact, although the overall company policy is good, much of the decision making is left up to the manager in each store. So my first step was to find out directly from customer service desk & the store manager exactly which coupons my Publix takes and how I can use coupons and still be within the rules.
My publix rocks because:

They accept competitor coupons(and they consider every single other grocery store a competitor!)
They accept both a store and a manufacturers coupon on each item purchased.
When you are getting a BOGO(buy one get one) deal, you can use coupons on both items, YES, you can use a coupon on the item you are getting free!
The publish a lot of store coupons.

So, if you won't be going to Publix, look for a store with similar policies. Often times it will be one of the more expensive stores.
The other reason I love Publix is that for a mainstream grocery they have a large selection of natural and organic products, and they also have Greenwise stores, which are like the health food store version of Publix, and which have the same coupon policy as regular Publix. We are lucky enough to have one in driving distance.
I'll touch on my reasons for visiting both Target and CVS in future posts, in the meantime start thinking about this: if you plan to use coupons you will probably start using more and more of them(it's very rewarding!). So choose a place to shop that will welcome your coupons and make it easy for you. My choice in Tampa is definitely Publix, but remember also that it depends quite a lot on the manager in your location.
So ask some questions and you will be much better prepared when you're at the checkout.

4 comments:

  1. This Looks Great! Thanks Meli. (Tell the S.O. I said HI.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Anyone know if they take competitor coupons such as "Get $5 off any $35 purchase"? That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which Publix is your Publix? The closest one for us is on Hillsborough and Habanna.. If that's not yours (which I doubt it is!) I'll give them a call tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ayne-- They do take those! And it's awesome. But be sure to use them first(hand over that coupon before the others) so that your total sale doesn't drop below the required amount.

    Tiffany-- I hit up the Apex Publix, right near the birth center on 41. Definitely call ahead but ask to speak to a manager because the staff are often less aware of the policies.

    ReplyDelete