Thursday, April 29

What is a Good Deal?

When browsing couponing websites you will find people bragging about $200 worth of merchandise for which they paid $2.
Sounds fantastic!
When you look a little closer often times they have stockpiled an item like Tilex or Windex, which I don't really even want one of; they have bought 15 or 20 of them!

I guess if that is an item they use frequently and they want two years worth of it in their cabinet then fantastic! But for me, I only want to stockpile items which I will actually use in the span of their shelf life. So a box of cereal will be ok for quite some time, I might buy a bunch if they are really a good price. Example: I bought about 10 boxes of Kashi cereals while they were on sale at publix. After sales and coupons I paid around $1.12 a box for cereal that would normal cost $4. And it is Feingold approved so Maya can have at it! And believe me, she is.

Deals look different when you are talking about higher priced items. Also, smaller companies don't necessarily get promoted through stores as often or put out as many manufacturers coupons. You can guarantee that on any given week either Kelloggs or Post cereals will be BOGO, not so much with Barbara's Bakery or Envirokidz. So we have to start working out what a good deal is for these types of items. Scope out the prices at your local grocery & your local health food store. If you're not good at remembering those sorts of things you might want to have a notebook handy.
Then when you come across a sale or get a coupon, you will know if it is actually a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment