Tuesday, May 18

Saving Ideas for Summer...

I was thinking last night about how coupons & deals are not the only ways I save.
So I decided to share a couple of other saving tips for your kitchen!

First off- Pressure Cooking!

A friend introduced me to pressure cooking a few years back. I was cooking dry beans all the time and sometimes they would sit in a pan on the stove all day long. Black beans in particular never seemed to cook just right and when they did it was after 2-3 hours of cooking.

Pressure cooking is the opposite of that! I don't even soak my beans overnight. I use a quick soak method:

Place dry beans in the pressure cooker, cover with water so there are several inches of water over the beans. With lid OFF, bring to a boil. Turn the heat off on the stove, put the lid on the pot, and let it sit for an hour. This is in place of soaking, and works beautifully.

After an hour you can pressure cook your beans- this usually takes between 7-15 mins, here is a great resource for pressure cooking times.

This has saved me so much money in buying canned beans(which by the way, I never see any good coups for), tons of time, and I'm sure has saved a lot of electricity.

Use your beans to make dips & hummus, summer bean salads, toss some chick peas over pasta or greens.

Next up- Homemade Frozen Treats & Pops... maybe later today, maybe tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Instead of boiling with the lid off, I close the lid and pressure cook for 20 minutes. The drained beans are then ready for cooking. I love not having to plan from the night before. :-)

    ReplyDelete